Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Create a Collection and Sub-Collection
To create a collection:
- Click New collection
- Type collection name name hit Enter on your keyboard to save new collection
To create a sub-collection:
- Right click the name of the original collection
- Click New collection and follow the instructions above
Create a Private Group to Share PDFs with Other Researchers
Mendeley allows you to share the full-text of PDFs with others by creating a private group. Please visit Mendeley's documentation page
for more information.
Add References to a Collection or Sub-Collection
- Click the checkbox next to the references you want to add to a collection or sub-collection
- Navigate to the Action Panel
- Click Organize
- Click Add to Collection
- Choose the collection or sub-collection
- Click Add
Attach a PDF to a Reference
- Click the reference you want to add the PDF too
- Two options:
- Option 1: Click Get PDF
- Option 2: Click Files and manually add the PDF
Read and Annotate PDFs
- Click the reference you want to read or annotate
- Click Read
- Annotate using various tools such as the highlight tool and the sticky note tool
- Right click on a highlight to add it to your Mendeley Notebook
All sticky notes appear in the Annotation tab within the reference.
The Mendeley Notebook allows you to take notes and collect annotations from the PDF's you've highlighted while using Mendeley Reference Manager. You can create as many notebook pages as you want.
- Click Notebook
- Click New page
- Add a title and start typing
- To add a highlight from a PDF to a Mendeley Notebook page, simply right click the highlight and select the notebook page where you'd like to save it
Please visit Mendeley's documentation page for more information on reading and annotating PDFs.