Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Finding Regulations and Rules
The Federal Register includes regulations (or rules), proposed regulations, notices, presidential proclamations, and executive orders. It is published daily and is printed in chronological order. It is useful in identifying background information about the final regulations as published in the Code of Federal Regulations. The Federal Register Index is arranged by agency and is published monthly. You can access the FR and FRI with the following methods:
- GovInfo - V. 59 (1994) to present
- Federalregister.gov - V. 59 (1994) to present
- HeinOnline - V. 1 (1936) to present *UI Affiliates Only*
- Library of Congress - V. 1 (1936) to V. 58 (1993) *Browsing Only*
- UI Library Government Documents Collection at GS 4.107 - V. 15 (1950) to V. 47 (1982)
- UI Library Government Documents Microfiche Collection at AE 2.106 - V. 50 (1985) to present
Please note that the CFR is updated only one each year; therefore, it is possible that there have been changes to regulations since its last publication. To make sure you have the most current information, after identifying a regulation in the latest CFR, please also consult the List of Sections Affected and/or the Parts Affected.
The following methods are available for accessing the CFR List of Sections Affected (LSA):
- GovInfo - 1997 to present
- HeinOnline - 1958 to present *UI Affiliates Only*
- UI Library Government Documents Microfiche Collection at AE 2.106/2 - 1985 to present
The following methods are available for accessing the CFR Parts Affected from the Federal Register:
- GovInfo - Past 24 hours, Week, Month, or by Date Range
Code of Federal Regulations
The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) provides final regulations (or rules) in a subject arrangement. It is printed annually throughout the year by volumes.
||DATE OF PUBICATION
The volume of the CFR entitled Index and Finding Aids is revised annually. It contains a subject index and tables indicating parallels between the CFR and citations to the U.S. Code, the United States Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and presidential documents.
The following methods are available for accessing the Code of Federal Regulations:
- GovInfo - 1996 to the present
- HeinOnline - 1938 to the present *UI Affiliates Only*
- Library of Congress - 1938 to 1995 *Browsing Only*
- UI Library Government Documents Collection at AE 2.12 - 1938 to 1949
- UI Library Government Documents Collection at GS 4.108 - 1951 to 1981
- UI Library Government Documents Collection at AE 2.106/3 - Current Issue Only
- UI Library Government Documents Microfiche Collection AE 2.106/3 - 1985 to present