Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
||for finding broad, more comprehensive information on your topic
books can be found by searching our catalog and our e-books page. They can be print and electronic.
Print books are located on the fourth (A-G), third (H-S), and second (S-Z) floors in the library; online books are accessed through our library catalog.
||Begin with a broad search in the library catalog. Use key terms, limiters, and boolean operators to narrow your search
Search the Library Catalog
Search for books, ebooks, DVDs, and more
Tips for Searching the Library Catalog:
Choose the search scope by selecting either UI + Summit + Articles (all materials); UI + Summit (items owned by UI and member libraries); or UI Library Only (items owned only by the UI Library).
Limiting your search: Start with a basic search and once you find a book that seems to be about your topic, you can use the format and/or other options located on the left to further narrow your search.
On the Advanced Search page, the year, language, and location (to name a few options) of items can be limited.
Subject headings can be a great way to narrow in on your topic.
Getting Your Book
To find library items
Take a look at our library floor maps
What is a Request?
Requesting a book is a simple way to get your library item(s), from on or off campus. To request materials that have been checked out by another patron, search for the item in our library catalog and click the Request button under the Find it tab. When a request is made, we notify the patron with the item and shorten the checkout time. (This can be especially helpful since faculty members and graduate students have long checkout periods on books). To view your requests, visit your account page.
How do I Request a Book?
- Locate your book by searching our library catalog.
- To view availability, click on Find it, and then Request (if the item is not available in our library).
- Enter your user id and password.
- Verify that your request is complete and submit.
- You will be notified when your book has arrived.
What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is service that allows for the worldwide sharing of library materials. This service is available for faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students.
How do I Request a Library Item Using Interlibrary Loan?
- Locate the book you would like to request using the library catalog.
- If the book is not available, or checked, click on Find it, and then Request.
- Enter your user name and password.
- Verify book request to make sure all necessary fields are complete, and submit.
- A record of the request should appear on your account page.