Articles usually provide information that is more specific and narrow in focus than that found in books. Many are easily accessible online or in library databases.
The University of Idaho Library provides access to hundreds of subscription databases, which will lead you to journal, magazine, and newspaper articles on almost any topic. UI students, faculty, and staff can access these databases from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection.
Peer Reviewed (Scholarly or Refereed) Journal Articles
- Have been reviewed and critiqued by other experts in the author's field
- Are highly respected in the academic world
- Usually have footnotes, endnotes, or bibliographies
- Usually include an abstract
- Include author's credentials and institutional affiliation
- Are written for the general public
- Usually contain advertising
- Are reviewed by editors
- Do not include sources
- Are often commercially published