Library Research Assignments -- Why include them in your course?
Research assignments can allow students to become engaged in a topic of interest to them and can improve critical thinking, organizational and communication skills. Information literacy skills are important for lifelong learning.
ACRL Information Literacy Standards
from the Association of College and Research Libraries
Students can acquire these important, lifelong learning skills through well designed research assignments.
An information literate individual is able to:
- Determine the extent of information needed
- Access the needed information effectively and efficiently
- Evaluate information and its sources critically
- Incorporate selected information into one’s knowledge base
- Use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose
- Understand the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information, and access and use information ethically and legally